MyJournals Home  

RSS FeedsIJMS, Vol. 22, Pages 9967: Adipose-Derived Stem Cells in the Treatment of Perianal Fistulas in Crohn`s Disease: Rationale, Clinical Results and Perspectives (International Journal of Molecular Sciences)

 
 

15 september 2021 12:39:30

 
IJMS, Vol. 22, Pages 9967: Adipose-Derived Stem Cells in the Treatment of Perianal Fistulas in Crohn`s Disease: Rationale, Clinical Results and Perspectives (International Journal of Molecular Sciences)
 


Between 20 to 25% of Crohn`s disease (CD) patients suffer from perianal fistulas, a marker of disease severity. Seton drainage combined with anti-TNFα can result in closure of the fistula in 70 to 75% of patients. For the remaining 25% of patients there is room for in situ injection of autologous or allogenic mesenchymal stem cells such as adipose-derived stem/stromal cells (ADSCs). ADSCs exert their effects on tissues and effector cells through paracrine phenomena, including the secretome and extracellular vesicles. They display anti-inflammatory, anti-apoptotic, pro-angiogenic, proliferative, and immunomodulatory properties, and a homing within the damaged tissue. They also have immuno-evasive properties allowing a clinical allogeneic approach. Numerous clinical trials have been conducted that demonstrate a complete cure rate of anoperineal fistulas in CD ranging from 46 to 90% of cases after in situ injection of autologous or allogenic ADSCs. A pivotal phase III-controlled trial using allogenic ADSCs (Alofisel®) demonstrated that prolonged clinical and radiological remission can be obtained in nearly 60% of cases with a good safety profile. Future studies should be conducted for a better knowledge of the local effect of ADSCs as well as for a standardization in terms of the number of injections and associated procedures.


 
58 viewsCategory: Biochemistry, Biophysics, Molecular Biology
 
IJMS, Vol. 22, Pages 9968: Beneficial Effects of Tamarind Trypsin Inhibitor in Chitosan–Whey Protein Nanoparticles on Hepatic Injury Induced High Glycemic Index Diet: A Preclinical Study (International Journal of Molecular Sciences)
IJMS, Vol. 22, Pages 9971: Prostate Cancer Radiogenomics—From Imaging to Molecular Characterization (International Journal of Molecular Sciences)
 
 
blog comments powered by Disqus


MyJournals.org
The latest issues of all your favorite science journals on one page

Username:
Password:

Register | Retrieve

Search:

Molecular Biology


Copyright © 2008 - 2021 Indigonet Services B.V.. Contact: Tim Hulsen. Read here our privacy notice.
Other websites of Indigonet Services B.V.: Nieuws Vacatures News Tweets Nachrichten